Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0ST Henry
Built : 1901
Original Name : Rosabel
Images : click on an image to enlarge
Originally built in 1901 by Hawthorn Leslie to the order of Webster's Brick and Lime Works in Coventry, at a cost of £1,104, this little engine is a representative of one of the all-time classic Tyneside locomotive designs.
It was named Rosabel after the daughter of Henry Webster, the Managing Director. Rosabel was used to haul bricks along Webster's Brickworks Railway for despatch over the LNWR Coventry — Nuneaton Line.
During the Great War, Rosabel was used on shunting work on the adjacent Ordnance Factory hauling massive 15" naval guns.
After the war the engine passed into the ownership of Courtaulds Ltd., whose factory on the Foleshill Road had taken over, the Webster Brickworks Railway, and worked for them until 1926 when it was part exchanged for a new shunting engine from Peckett & Sons of Bristol. This was none other than 'Rocket', which received a recent overhaul (2003) at Tyseley.
Rosabel was then overhauled by Peckett and Sons and in 1928 was sold to British Celanese of Spondon, near Derby. Here it was renamed Henry after the Swiss chemist Dr Henri Dreyfus, chairman of British Celanese.
In 1974 Henry moved to Courtaulds factory at Foleshill, Coventry, eventually being preserved by them as a static exhibit.
In 1983 restoration of the locomotive was begun by a team working on Manpower Services Commission Scheme. This very soon expanded in scope to permit restoration of the engine to full working order. The overhaul was carried out at the Edgwick Centre in Coventry and was delivered to the Tyseley in August 1986.
Henry has delighted both staff, volunteers and the public over the years, but is now in need of overhaul. It is currently on display in the old Midland Railway shed at Barrow Hill near Chesterfield and has been cosmetically restored by the present custodians.